The only mandatory new home warranty program in Canada, and one of only a few such programs in the world, Tarion provides new home buyers with substantial warranty protection.Created as an independent, non-profit corporation, Tarion administers and enforces the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act which defines the coverage offered by the program.The Best protected consumers are informed consumers. Before buying a new home, become familiar with the protection.
Since the Warranty Program’s coverage was enhanced in 1990, new home buyers receive:
- Deposit protection up to $40,000.00
- Delayed closing protection.
- Delayed occupancy protection for condominium buyers.
- Protection against substitution of key elements in both single family homes and condominium projects.
- One year builder’s warranty on workmanship, materials and Ontario Building Code violations.
- Two-year “owner train” builder’s warranty covering the electrical, plumbing and heating delivery and distribution systems.
- Two-year builder’s warranty against water penetrating the basement through the foundation. In condominiums this protection includes all below ground structures such as parking garages.
- Two-year builder’s warranty against water penetrating the building envelope.
- Seven-year major structural defect protection.
For all of the details regarding the Tarion warranty program, please visit the Tarion website.